Thursday, 22 August 2013

Catch Up Part 2

You never know what sort of havoc the players of the LARP are going to create, but you can be assured they will create as much as they can. Well, our chapter’s players are no different. One of our winter events ended up being a trial to deal with some of this havoc. This meant we needed judicial robes for the tribunal. This is Cory’s as his non-playing character is the leader of the tribunal. The others were the same, just without the gold trim.



At the same event, I played a gryphon-in-humanoid form. The costume isn't quite complete, it’s missing feathered gloves as per the game description, but I just didn't have enough time to make them. By the way, this costume is freezing in the winter!



Another of our winter tavern night events saw a travelling carnival of non-human characters visit; by the name of “Giovanni’s Wonders and Horrors”. Cory of course was Giovanni himself, a wolf. It was my turn to play a Saar (see previous post for explanation). I do love the Kimono, but it was almost as much work as Cory’s costume!



As part of the story-line we are trying to do in the LARP, Cory and I needed to play Medusa characters at one of the first summer events this year. In one place, we were black and white (that world had no colour). That was easily taken care of with a couple of morph suits with the faces cut out. Back in the game world, we needed coloured snake costumes. Here’s mine: 



Another event saw the gryphon return, this time in gryphon form. The costume is still incomplete (I need gloves for this one too, and wings), but I think it got the idea across. 


Cory also requested a new costume for one of his non-playing characters. We found this really nice faux-suede material that is a dream to work with. It just doesn’t stay closed very well. I have to change the clasps to make it work. 


With a leaf-camo hood: 


Our Shauna decided it was her turn to jump into playing. I have to say I had as much fun watching (and listening!) to her play as she was actually playing! This is the over dress of her costume. The dress is a blue Newfoundland plaid. It looks really good together, but the ribbon loops just didn't stand up to her aggressive play-style. Oops! Time to switch to grommets! 


Our July event saw the return of the Giovanni, so Cory needed a proper coat. This is what he chose: It looks great on, but it was dark when he came out in it, so I’m not sure how many of our players actually saw it. 


Most recently, Cory needed a costume to look like a tree to play a Dryad. Fortunately, the summer quilting patterns were on clearance, so we were able to get the material for a steal! 


Cory went a bit overboard and got a lot more than was needed for his costume. With a lot of the help from the players, I have put together a lot of new tabards in a variety of patterns: fire, stone, bark, etc. These will really help our monsters look more like they are supposed to look. 


At this point, my to do list still has some of the same items as last year, but with ever more additions.  Eventually, I want to make more items for sale and set up an Etsy store to do it.

This weekend is our August event, and we are madly trying to get everything finished in time. Look for pictures next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment