Friday, 23 March 2012

Blood of a hen!

Or an Arch Mage Cloak. Same color…

Moving on,

March 17 saw the second Alliance Calgary LARP event. The weeks leading up saw me extremely busy working on all the required costume pieces for it.

First project was Cory’s Arch Mage: a huge red cloak with black & gold trim. I’ve made cloaks before; the pattern I usually use is pretty simple and can be done in a day. Cory chose a new pattern with a ton of gathering involved. It was worth it though, it looked fantastic!

New pattern & materials:


I had to be very creative with this one as the 9.5 meters we needed for this was not all in one piece. It was in 5. Or 7. I can’t remember exactly. I really hate it when people do that at the Fabric store! But it all worked out in the end. I did lots of ironing and mixing and matching pieces to get what needed. Fortunately the twill Cory picked doesn’t have a nap or a “right” side. That would have made this little exercise nearly impossible.

First up: cutting out the pieces: Cloak pieces are huge! Four for the body and four more for the sleeves; 8 small pieces for the chest or “yoke” and hood. I have to say I really like the way the hood went on this one.




Let the gathering (and bloodletting) begin! It’s a good thing this costume is red!


These are the sleeves. Not sure they really needed darts, but they were on the pattern, so I did them. Then I played with my new serger to reinforce the seams.


OOo the fun part! Adding the trim. This really changed the whole look of the costume. It actually went on the sleeves before the sleeves were sewn on to the cloak. It was super easy, which is why I liked it.

Little bit more blood!

Looks great here doesn’t it? What I didn’t take pictures of was all the hand sewing I did on the yoke. There are actually two layers in there to enclose all the gathered edges on the body pieces and sleeves. This required several tedious hours of hand-sewing. (During which I watched “Robin Hood: Men in Tights”) Both thumbs and index fingers were numb by the time I finished. I’ve since discovered that a well pinned yoke can skip right to the top-stitching. No more hand sewing for me!! I really punish my poor hands doing all this!

I actually finished this before Cory went on his annual trip to the convention for Game Manufacturers, Distributors and store owners in Las Vegas (jealous!). He decided he wanted trim added to the hood as well. I didn’t have enough left over so that meant another trip to Fabricland! I spend so much time in there I really should give the manager my resume…

Finally, here is the completed costume as worn by Cory aka Az’cane the grumpy, ancient, ornery, old arch mage.

No comments:

Post a Comment