Thursday, 11 August 2011

Completing the Jedi

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that if I’m not updating this blog, it’s because I’m sewing; and taking pictures which will eventually end up on the blog.

So while I wasn’t able to get the costume done in time to take it myself, I spent the last two weeks (mostly) sewing madly to make sure to get it done in time for my nephew’s actual birthday on the 14th. I’m happy to say I sent it on the bus this afternoon and it should be there tomorrow morning. As a kid I remember how exciting it was to get something in the mail with my name on it. (Not so fun anymore; it’s all bills.) So I put my nephew’s name on the box, care of his parents. I hope he enjoys it.

Resuming and finishing the hand stitching:


Velcro at the waist to help keep it in place:

Starting the belt: Cory really helped me out here: it was getting quite late last Thursday and I was running out of time. While I ate and got ready for bed he turned the belt straps inside right.

Unfortunately that was where the sewing stopped for the week. I came home to find my poor kitty, whom I’ve posted pictures of as my company, very sick. So ran to pick up a cat carrier, then took her to the only vet in town that’s open past 5:30 (why?) in the middle of a really horrible hail storm. I had to stop and wait it out because I couldn’t see the road anymore because there was so much coming down.

Eventually we made it and I got her in to see the vet. The vet was very good and really explained everything. Bandit was terrified and clinging to me, but did really well. Turned out Bandit has a urinary tract infection and might be diabetic. She’s on two weeks of antibiotics and will need more tests afterwards. The vet said that the infection could have raised her blood sugar levels, and they need to make sure the infection is gone. She's a senior now and this sort of thing is quite common for her age.

But she is doing much better. Eating much more and moving around much more than she was when I brought her home. Saturday we went to Brooks for the medieval festival and I got to wear my green costume again. We forgot hats and sunscreen so we both got sunburns on our faces.  Sunday I felt really guilty for leaving Bandit alone when she is sick so I spent the whole day with her on the couch. I think we both felt better for it.

Back to the grind on Monday: and getting the costume done! Completed the belt:

Completed robe and belt:

That just leaves the brown cloak, which will be the subject of tomorrow’s post. What’s a Jedi without that cloak to add some mystery?

No comments:

Post a Comment