Friday, 22 April 2011

First Project

As promised, today I started my first project for this blog. I will be making uniform shirts for the staff at Myth Games. Cory was going to order shirts the conventional way, but they did not come in the colour he wanted: purple. So I found a plain blowing shirt type pattern for men and a more fitted, similar shirt for women. He has one male and one female employee that I need to make shirts for plus Cory. It will be a total of about 7 or 8 shirts. They will take me some time, but not a lot as they are very simple patterns.

My cutting space: A cardboard mat spread out on the spare bed in the basement.


The patterns and material:


My workspace: also in the basement.


It’s the only area I have enough space to spread out; and since we keep the basement door closed, the kitties can’t get at it. My desk has history: it was my grandmother’s sewing desk. My grandfather made it for her; it has a yard stick embedded in the surface on the front edge. It’s been used a lot over the years and could really use a refinishing. Note that these are the grandparents from my father’s side. I never met my grandmother as she passed long before I was born and was three when my grandfather passed. They were much older than my mother’s parents, so this desk is much older than you would think.

Back to the project: these are the two sheets of pattern pieces. For those of you unfamiliar with patterns, the pieces come printed on sheets of very thin tissue paper that have to be cut out with paper scissors. Using fabric scissors dulls them in a hurry. It’s been a really long time since I’ve done a project with only two sheets.


And these are the prices liberated from the sheets. It’s also best to iron the pieces without steam to remove the creases and make them much easier to work with. The only challenge is getting them refolded to fit back into the envelope when I’m done with them.


Tomorrow is game day for the club that I am a part of: The Pirates of the Plains so I can’t promise there will be a post. We are also getting some extra games in to prepare for an upcoming marathon weekend, so I can’t promise anything for Sunday either, but I will try.

Have a great Easter weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment